My B1/B2 was cancelled because I earned income in the US while living in my home country. What are my chances applying for a J-1

Asked over 2 years ago - Boca Raton, FL

I would travel to and from my home country to do speaking/training engagements. I was compensated and bought a car in the US. They cancelled my B1/B2 because I abused it and now I would like to continue where I left off a year ago but do it right this time. I'm in the process of getting my bachelors degree and will apply for a H-1B visa in 2014 but Do you think I could get a J-1 Visa in the meantime so I can train to better my career while schooling for the Bachelors which will help me obtain the H1-B?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

25

Answered . Your chances of obtaining an J-1 visa are slim and none due to your previous violation.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

13

Answered . Your prior violation of your B-1/B-2 will be an ongoing problem. The J is for training and has the same non-immigrant intent requirements as apply to the B. Although your chances look slim, you can go ahead and try to find a J sponsor: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-app...

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

12

Answered . Basically no chance because of the prior violation.

4. Arie Ebrahimian

12

Answered . I agree with my esteemed colleague.

LAW OFFICE OF ARIE EBRAHIMIAN
    8889 WEST OLYMPIC BOULEVARD, SUITE 200
    BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90211
    (888) 980-2743
    (888) 980-ARIE
    ARIE@DREAMACTLAWYER.US

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

5. Jeffrey Adam Devore

10

Answered . I would say the likelihood of your obtaining a new visa in any category is poor. This is because it appears that the government took the position that you gained entry into the United States by fraud (i.e. misrepresenting your intent) as you admitted that you "abused" your visa. A finding of fraud renders one permanently inadmissible, though waivers are sometimes available

You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the specific facts of your case, advise you of the options available, and recommend how best to proceed.

-----------
    Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Devore Law Group, P.A.
    2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    Telephone: (561) 478-5353
    Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
    Skype: jeffrey.a.devore
    email: jdevore@devorelawgroup.com
    web: www.devorelawgroup.com