My auto insurance company ignored the fact that the Traffic Court dismissed my case and my policy is very high. How to reduce ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I was found at fault by the police officer in a very complicated car accident. Another car hit me in the rear while turning onto the secondary road from the state road(with limit of 45 miles per hour). I was on the secondary road at the time of accident.The other driver said he had to turn to avoid more serious accident while my claim was he couldn't control his turning to the right because of the speed. Unfortunately, I was under stress and made a very stupid thing - I moved my car from the road(just several yards) and the officer judged by the rule " the right of way". I appealed the case and the judge dismissed all the charges against me(4 points + traffic fine). My insurance company already paid $2200 for the damage and doesn't recognize the dismissal and my insurance is very high now.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

1

Answered . So is your issue the jacked up premiums? If so, the person to contact is your insurance agent and ask for an explanation. Once you present proof of the dismissal to him/her, demand that he reach out to underwriting for a modification. No promises, but that is your best chance at getting the rates under control!

2. William David Umansky

Pro

5

1

Answered . My colleague is correct. From experience, insurance companies will raise premiums not just based upon your driving record but what they deem is your fault and it is definitely not surprising based upon fact they paid out.

3. Julio M. Gomez

2

Best Answer

Answered . Your question is in part governed by Fla Stat. 626.9541 which provides in part than an insurance company may not increase or fail to renew a policy solely for a traffic citation that was dismissed or nolle prossed. I suggest you get a certified copy of the disposition of your traffic case and send it to your insurance company with an explanation as to why you were not at fault in the accident. If that does not work consider talking to an attorney to explore other legal alternatives.

4. Robert Don Fink

Pro

4

1

Answered . Insurance companies base rates on many factors; including perceived risk. You can ask for your rate to be reconsidered... or you can find a new insurance company.

5. Jason Eric Neufeld

2

Answered . Remember - you are a consumer and the insurance company is a private business. They can raise your rates for any reason, or no reason whatsoever. You in turn, have the power to take your business elsewhere. Call some other companies to compare rates.

Good luck to you.