My aunt who is now deceased was named on a valid will. My aunt does have her only sister living. Can that sister beneit ?

My aunt was devoted to John Doe for over 23 years assisting him in his household, and helping to care for his handicapped brother, who passed 3 yrs. ago. My aunt was mentioned to receive many proceeds in John Doe's Will.. Now, John Doe recently passed. He had Alzheimer's Disease.My aunt's only sister and next of kin is living, and if my aunt were here, she would want her to benefit . Now strange things are happening that are not just. A codicil was attached revoking my aunt, since she is no longer living. Everything is questionable on this will, from validity to signatures. The living sister is concerned because John Doe talked to her everyday since my aunt's passing, stating that my aunt 's name is on the will, as well as the living sister. Can all of this be challenged.?

Silver Spring, MD -

Anne Debelius Lopiano

Anne Debelius Lopiano

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer

Only if your living aunt changed her position in life (such as taking care of John Doe every day for along time, or moving in with him just to do so, and giving up some other opportunity in life) would she have grounds for contesting the Will, especially of there are living witnesses to what work she did for John Doe and that the living aunt was relying on a promise made by John Doe. What would have been your other aunt's legacy or bequest will go to whomever John Doe's Codicil say it will go to. Even if one could prove that John Doe was mentally incompetent when he signed the codicil -- that woould not likeley help your living aunt -- because when your aunt died, her legacy under the Will died with her.
--Anne LoPiano

Steven J. Fromm

Steven J. Fromm

Estate Planning Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

With these complicated and ambiguous facts and questions as to validity of documents any advice at this forum would be pure conjecture. You need to immediately retain estate counsel to review this situation in detail to see if the living sister has legal recourse here. Anything less is a waste of time.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has an AV Preeminent Rating (5.0 out of 5.0) with Martindale-Hubbel, the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards. Also, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Related Advice