My aunt is the settlor of a living trust but is not a trustee. How can she take control of her assets in the living trust?

Asked about 1 year ago - La Canada, CA

My aunt set up a living trust with her cousin as a co-trustee. Her cousin's lawyer is handling the living trust. Her cousin has been misusing the money in the trust. He also forced my aunt to close all her bank accounts and took away those money, claiming to put it into the trust. My aunt now has no bank account and she has to beg him for grocery money $100 increment at a time. The cousin also took away all living trust documents and financial papers from my aunt's house. My aunt wants back the control of the living trust, and remove her cousin from the trustee position, but the cousin's lawyer claims that my aunt resigned from the living trust 5 months ago and cannot control the living trust any more. How can my aunt take back her money in the trust?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Mary Lynn Symons

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the trust is revocable (or amendable), your aunt can either amend the trust or if she prefers she can revoke it. In California, a trust is revocable and amendable unless specifically declared to be irrevocable. Your aunt should go see an estate planning lawyer about regaining control of her assets.

  2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the language in the trust.
    If the trust can be amended anytime by the settlor-
    she can change it again to make herself or someone of her choice
    the trustee.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  3. David Thomson Egli

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the answer of Attorney Symons. If revocable, your aunt can remove the current trustee and designate herself as the new trustee or revoke the trust and require all trust property be transferred to her.

    Before doing anything, though, she needs to go over the trust with an attorney experienced in trusts and trust administration to determine her options are available. She can find a lawyer through Avvo's "Find a Lawyer." Alternatively, she may want to contact the Los Angeles County Bar's referral program.


    This office is licensed to practice law only in the state of California. The answer provided above is for general... more

Related Topics

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.


A trust is an estate planning tool in which you allow a third party (called a trustee) to hold your assets on behalf of your beneficiaries. Several types exist.

Sharon Melissa Siegel

What is a Trust?

A trust is a legal document. All trusts must be written on paper. There are many categories of trust. A "testamentary trust" is a trust that is established under a will and only comes... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,136 answers this week

3,339 attorneys answering