My aunt is raising my daughter. She receives a social security check from my daughters father but wants me to pay child support

Asked over 1 year ago - Crothersville, IN

She does not allow me to have contact with my daughter.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Inga L Stevens

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not a Social Security question but a family law question.

    What is the nature of your aunt's custody? Were your rights terminated? Do you have a court order for visitation?

    The fact that she receives SS money from the child's father has no bearing on your obligation to financially help support your child too (without knowing the details of your legal arrangement).

    I would suggest speaking with an attorney to discuss what you can do regarding visitation.

    Attorney Inga Stevens is licensed in Maine. She provides general information on No attorney-client... more
  2. Clint Curtis

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Child support is not tied to the child receiving additional income elswhere. If you do not have visitation rights you can seek them.

    Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,541 answers this week

2,858 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,541 answers this week

2,858 attorneys answering