Skip to main content

My attorney sexually assaulted me (touched me in his office) and i have witnesses

Los Angeles, CA |

should i sue him?
if yes, i am not sure if he has any assets.
1)Would a malpractice or general liability cover ?
2) how can i know if has any insurance?
3) he is in criminal court. would a civil action cause a jury to think twice before making him guilty thinking I reported him for financial interest (which I have not, and I only did it for ethics and moral obligation)

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your best course depends on all of the facts and circumstances: where did he touch you and how? why were there wits? what came before and after between the two of you? Also critical and determinative are: the nature and stage of the attorney-client relationship, stage of the proceedings, and the issues on which you were receiving legal counsel. And a hundred more individual details.

    If this was anything other than an unambiguous uninvited overt physical/sexual contact, reacted to immediately by unambiguous disapproval and rejection, then it will serve you to consult with an attorney BEFORE you put yourself out there irrevocably as a complainant, whether in a civil action, administrative complaint, or even a report of criminal conduct. This is not intended to discourage you; it is intended to forearm and inform you. The path forward is difficult, all other considerations aside.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

  2. Thre are many questions to answer before any egalitarian advice can be given. Having witnesses will greatly help your case if they corroborate your allegations. This case could be a criminal battery and also a civil assault claim. As far as instance most policies for malpractice do not cover sexually molesting their clients. Contact an attorney who handles sexual harassment and personal injury assault cases in your area.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

  3. 1. Malpractice insurance would NOT cover this; some question as to whether general liability would cover any damages, although it might provide him defense.
    2. You probably can't get this information without starting a lawsuit.
    3. I'm not sure what you're asking. You'll need to prove how you were damaged or injured by his conduct. Separate from filing a civil lawsuit, you may wish to report him to the State Bar (they issue his license to practice).

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics