My attorney recently passed away

Minneapolis, MN |

- He worked alone - no partners, etc. I'm having a hard time getting my files - he was handing a fairly large case for me - lots of interviews, videotapes,.. - he had been working on the case for almost a year and half - so it's lot of material. On the rare occasion I'm able to reach someone at his office - I'm told someone will be in touch with me. It's been over 2 months since he died - Are there procedures to be followed in situations like this I live in MN

1. First, its sounds like you have a complicated case. The first thing you need to do is hire a new attorney to insure your case is not prejudiced or harmed in anyway. That attorney would then be able to deal with your file. Also, have you checked to see if a probate was opened for the Attorney? If so, contact the personal representative. In addition, call the State Bar association, they may be able to help you.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. I agree with Mr. Schultz. The file material your attorney had is actually your property and you can demand it at anytime. If the attorney's office is not helpful, find who was appointed to handle your attorney's estate and get the file contents that way. It is also possible that your attorney was in an office share environment in which other attorneys worked in the same building but not connected in the same firm. If that is the case reach out to those attorneys and see if they know anything or can help you out.

Andrew C. Thompson, Attorney at Law, 1539 Grand Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105, (651) 698-2181, athompson@tl-attorneys.com I am providing this information solely for informational purposes. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Nothing transmitted in this posting establishes an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. You are welcome to contact me personally in anyway. However, such contact does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

3. I agree with the answers of prior counsel. Another great resource for you will be the lawyer's professional liability insurance carrier, if he had one. You can find out by searching for your attorney here: http://www.mncourts.gov/mars/

I appreciate your endorsements! If you "agree," or found this response "helpful," please mark it as so. The Law Offices of Sara M. G. Rojas offers free consultations by phone or in person. To schedule one today call 612-206-3722 or email me at srojas@rojaslegal.com. Disclaimer: Nothing in this response constitutes legal advice or creates an attorney-client relationship. You should always consult with a local attorney regarding your specific legal circumstances. Answers posted on Avvo are intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation about your specific legal issues, with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. You should not rely solely upon this website, or other resources which may be linked to an answer in addressing your legal issues. Questions and answers, or other postings to the Avvo site, are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo Terms of Use are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota and the U.S. District of Minnesota. Any general information I provide about non-Minnesota laws should be verified with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.