My attorney recently passed away

Asked over 1 year ago - Minneapolis, MN

- He worked alone - no partners, etc. I'm having a hard time getting my files - he was handing a fairly large case for me - lots of interviews, videotapes,.. - he had been working on the case for almost a year and half - so it's lot of material. On the rare occasion I'm able to reach someone at his office - I'm told someone will be in touch with me. It's been over 2 months since he died - Are there procedures to be followed in situations like this I live in MN

1. Andrew Thompson

2

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Schultz. The file material your attorney had is actually your property and you can demand it at anytime. If the attorney's office is not helpful, find who was appointed to handle your attorney's estate and get the file contents that way. It is also possible that your attorney was in an office share environment in which other attorneys worked in the same building but not connected in the same firm. If that is the case reach out to those attorneys and see if they know anything or can help you out.

2. Sara Marie Grant Rojas

1

Answered . I agree with the answers of prior counsel. Another great resource for you will be the lawyer's professional liability insurance carrier, if he had one. You can find out by searching for your attorney here: http://www.mncourts.gov/mars/

3. Charles Adam Shultz

1

1

Answered . First, its sounds like you have a complicated case. The first thing you need to do is hire a new attorney to insure your case is not prejudiced or harmed in anyway. That attorney would then be able to deal with your file. Also, have you checked to see if a probate was opened for the Attorney? If so, contact the personal representative. In addition, call the State Bar association, they may be able to help you.