Skip to main content

My asylum has been pending for for than two years when I applied I was a minor

Albany, NY |

Two months ago I was called for a reinterview Because my case was given to a new officer I called a week ago and I was told that my officer is not at the office anymore but my case is under review with the supervisor. I can't afford a lawyer I am really struggling what should I do next? Is my case be granted?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. You will need to wait or possible file a writ of mandamus with the federal court. You should at least be able to get employment authorization while your case is pending. There are non profit organizations that may help you. Have you tried Catholic Family Services, Lutheran Social Services, Legal Aide and your local law school?

  2. Based on the little information you supplied, there is no way any attorney can give you an answer. You need to make an appointment to speak with an experienced immigration attorney. Also, do not post further information for a more detailed answer, as this is a public forum and your personal information should not be posted online.

    Good luck!

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.

  3. If you cannot afford a private attorney, you should check to see if there is a legal services agency or BIA approved organization who assists asylee applicants. If you contact a legal services agency in your region, ask them what non restricted program assists asylum cases. The fact a new officer has been assigned your case is not the concern but the fact it has taken two years for a determiantion. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  4. No. Being reviewed by a supervisor is not equivalent to the case being granted.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  5. There is not enough information to give you an answer that would allay you anxieties, however it does not appear that your case was approved yet. It appears to be still pending and no final decision has been made. If your case is outside of the immigration court and is denied, you are likely to be able to argue your case again before the immigration judge. If you cannot afford an immigration lawyer I suggest to contact individual attorneys or organizations in New York that provide free legal assistance. I included a link of such providers for your convenience below.

    Good luck!

    Information provided does not constitute a legal advice, does not create attorney-client relationship and for informational purposes only.

  6. All of my colleauges have provided excellent answers. You should consult with an attorney to go over your case. Seek out the assistance of a pro bono attorney and go from there. Good luck.

    Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at All initial constulations are free.

  7. Without the specific facts of your case it is impossible to make a guess. I suggest that you keep making INFOPASS appointments with USCIS.
    Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics