Skip to main content

My asylum has been granted in San Francisco on January 22, 2013.I am moving to New York in march 18, 2013.

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Political asylum

I haven't filed my family petition yet. So my question is should I file my family petition before I move to New York or I can do if after I move to New York. Is there any adverse effect if I change state and file family petition?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Congratulations! If the petition is ready for filing now, you can go ahead. Once you have moved you can update your information with USCIS.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  2. You can start the process for your family from San Francisco or New York. However you need to inform USCIS of your change of address by filing AR-11 and updating the information on all applications filed.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics