My asylum got granted, can I apply for new EAD now or should wait for renewal period(within 120 days )

Asked 7 months ago - New York, NY

So i got the good news, my asylum got granted in the court,. Currently I Am having EAD ( for pending asylum) . I used to renew it every year as my case was pending . Now after got granted, should I apply now for new EAD or should I WAIT FOT AT LEAST 120 days before the expirTion of my current EAD. I do not want my EAD application get denied because its earlier than 120 days.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Wait.

2. Mark Robert Barr

2

Best Answer

Answered . When you received the final decision on your asylum application from the Immigration Judge, and the government attorney chose not to appeal the decision, you should been given a set of instructions about how to process your asylum grant with USCIS. You would have been advised to schedule an appointment at your local USCIS office through the USCIS on-line INFOPASS system. You would have been advised to bring a copy of the Immigration Judge's final order to your scheduled appointment. Once you went to the appointment, DHS would have begun the processing of your work permit.

Here is a copy of the post-order instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/....

Also, understand that even if you don't receive a work permit, as someone with a final grant of asylum, you are authorized to work even without a work permit.

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . It's possible that USCIS might automatically issue you a new EAD based on your asylum status. If not, then you could file for a renewal. Congratulations!

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Congratulations!! If your asylum application was approved, you don't need to renew your EAD. Your asylee status gives you the right to work and everything else. Make sure to apply for adjustment of status exactly one year from the date of the asylum approval.

5. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . I suggest waiting and filing 120 days prior.
    In fact, you should file for AOS for your LPR status nine months after the grant of asylum without any delay and once you become a LPR you will no longer need to spend $360 every year for an EAD renewal.

6. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

1

Answered . Follow the suggested guidelines and wait.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now