My apt. manager said she can't let me see the surveillance video of my car being stolen. Is this true?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I live in California, & my car was stolen a couple days ago. There are surveillance cameras that caught the crime. When I asked her to play them back, she said that it was illegal for her to play them back for me without the police present due to privacy laws. Is this true?

1. Gary Ray White

1

Answered . Make a police report and let the police do their job. Your curiosity alone does not entitle you to see the video.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . File a police report for the stolen car and inform the police that your landlord has videos. The police will get the tapes.

3. Robert A. Stumpf

1

Answered . I would agree with her. The cops would get to see it, but they don't reveal those things to the parties in question initially, because there could be issues of liability.