My apartment was recently flooded. Who is responsible for the electric bill incurred for repairs while I was displaced?

Auburn, NY |

A pipe burst in my upstairs bathroom. The entire downstairs was decimated with water damage. My electric bill is substantially higher due to necessary repairs.

1. I guess it could be a consequential damage of the pipe bursting so who paid to repair the damage? Look to that party for reimbursement.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Dear who is responsible for electric bill?

Did you settle with your landlord for the other out-of-pocket expenses you incurred while you were displaced during the repairs and after the flood? If so, your settlement may have covered the miscellaneous item of the use of your electric utility used by the contractors.

How much is involved? If you have not settled with the landlord, then include the excess electric as part of your out-of-pocket damages.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Landlord-tenant law topics