My apartment walls are rat cockaroach infested. What are my rights? do i need to pay rent?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

the manager brought pest control in but they laid traps and thats it aid they would return in a few days./?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As a tenant, you have a right to a habitable dwelling. The presence of rats and pests such as cockroaches may render the apartment uninhabitable. See CA Civil Code section 1941.1.

    Generally speaking, you need to give the landlord/manager a "reasonable" time to correct the problem. Thereafter, if the landlord/manager fails to do so, your remedies include abandonment (i.e., moving out), withholding rent (possibly), repair-and-deduct (possibly), and suing for damages.

    How long has this problem existed?

    I would not suggest taking any action without first allowing the landlord to remedy the situation and not without having consulted with a tenant's attorney.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Frances Miller Campbell

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Difficult question. The correct legal answer is "no," a tenant does not have to pay rent for a dwelling that is "untenantable" or "uninhabitable" (re in Los Angeles. Call the Los Angeles Housing Department at 866-557-RENT and ask for a code enforcement inspection. They will order the landlord to exterminate. You can also sue your landlord in small claims court for back rent for having to endure the infestation.

    Hope that is helpful.

    Important things to remember: 1. The fact that I answered a question that you asked me on line, doesn't make me... more
  3. Jesus Angel Rodriguez

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . You have many rights as a tenant, and protections, particularly in the city of Los Angeles. The pertinent rights which are at stake for you right now are your right to quiet enjoyment of the premises and the warranty of habitability. The right to quiet enjoyment means more than to enjoy the premises without noise. It is your right to the undisturbed use and enjoyment of the premises, without the vermin infestation. In regard to the warranty of habitability, the defective conditions you describe in the form of cockroach and rat infestations constitute violations of state and local housing laws, which constitute a breach the implied warranty of habitability. Depending upon how long your landlord has known about these conditions may constitute a violation of these rights if he has done nothing to abate them within a reasonable time. Which in turn, may give you a right to recover damages or monetary compensation in a lawsuit for your landlord’s failure to maintain the premises in a habitable condition.
    As far as whether you need to pay rent, the answer is yes. If you do not pay rent you face the possibility of being evicted. Everyone who rents needs to pay rent. However, the amount of rent that you should be paying may be much less than what you are currently paying or than the amount the landlord is demanding. Therefore, the question is not whether you need to pay rent, but how much rent you need to pay. Unfortunately, it would be rare that you and your landlord would agree to an amount that represents the fair rental value. Only the Los Angeles Housing Department can determine a rent reduction if the apartment is in such bad shape that it is accepted into the City of Los Angeles REAP Program (or City of Los Angeles Rent Escrow Account Program) or a judge in a court of law; assuming you have an attorney knowledgeable not only in landlord-tenant law but also in habitability law. You may also be able to recover any rent that you paid, in excess of the fair rental value should a court determine the premises are inhabitable.
    You should contact an attorney in your area that is knowledgeable in landlord-tenant law and also in habitability law so that you can get the proper advice before you act.

    Note: This response is provided by the Law Offices of Jesus Rodriguez, 700 S. Flower St., Ste. 1510, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (213) 623-2333, it is provided for information purposes only and to encourage the exchange of ideas and open communication. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,583 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,583 answers this week

2,907 attorneys answering