Skip to main content

My accountant didn't complete my taxes, yet won't return my docs so I can proceed w another acctnt. How can I get my records bk?

Fort Dodge, IA |
Filed under: Tax law

For the last 5 years, calls do not get returned, nothing gets filed - and this endless runaround continues for yet another year. The rare instance I did reach him, he insisted he cannot give all my docs back, and can't return anything right away. My records are essentially hijacked and held for ransom. Now I am out of the state, so it is hard for me to chase him in iowa. But I need to move forward with a reliable professional ASAP/ yesterday. I want all my records back so a new accountant can unravel the mess and complete what the Iowa acctnt started but never finished. What are the options in Iowa? Are there attorneys that can pick up documents for me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your tax records belong to you. If your accountant is licensed (CPA or EA) report him to the licensing agency if he will not return the documents. If this still continues, hire a local attorney to pursue this for you.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.



I have a cpa who electronically filled out our taxes but held off on submitting them until we met with him again to review all figures & confirm accuracy. We also paid him in full for an audit review & representation that he never did (we hired another firm). Now we need to meet with him to finalize our taxes before the deadline and he's avoiding us. He also doesn't want to refund us our money for the audit that he backed out of... He's telling his staff of 2 (females) to say that he's busy and can't meet with us and he's not going to be in the office. He's basically hijacked our taxes and he's kept the money for the audit service which he never rendered. It's EMA accounting in Anaheim Ca. This isn't right and we're forced now to hire an attorney and sue him for his negligence or whatever you want to call it. He's being very shady and it's not just and unfair.

Henry Daniel Lively

Henry Daniel Lively


You can open a case with the CA State Board of Accountancy and they will investigate.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer