My 87 year old mother is in need of a conservator. She has been diagnosed with dementia.

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

She is currently in an alzheimer care home in Surprise. My sister has taken over her care but my brother and I are concerned for her financial welfare as my sister has a criminal record for grand theft and has been recently incarcerated. We believe she is using my mother's finances for her own personal gain. I contacted my mother's former attorney and is was suggested that we file a conservatorship

1. James P. Frederick

5

Answered . I agree that this sounds like a situation where a conservatorship makes a LOT of sense. Since it appears likely that your sister will contest it, you would be best served by retaining a probate attorney to assist you. The attorney can also help you to comply with your duties, after your appointment. It is not rocket science, but it can be confusing if you have never done it before.

James Frederick

2. Richard H Lee

3

Answered . Her attorney was correct. You should contact as attorney although there is considerable information and self help packets available from the Marixopa County Superior Court Self Help Center
    http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/SuperiorC...

Go there and download the material but you woulld be well advised to consult, and probably hire, an attorney.

3. James Gregory Las Cola

4

Answered . You have given some information, but you have not asked a question. You should contact an elder law attorney who practices in the county where your mother lives to seek his/her counsel to help care for your mother. You can search here on AVVO.com.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

4

Answered . Contact a good attorney as soon a you read this, get off the internet and et on the phone. Lock up all real estate, stocks and bank accounts. She gave birth to you, loved you and raised you, now it your turn to return the blessings she bestowed upon you.