My 8 yr old sees dad 1x/wk in supervised visits. At what age can he legally refuse to see dad?

Lakewood, WA |

I was in an abusive marriage, and my children experienced and witness a lot of things I wish they hadn't. Now, my son has been required to see his father one hr a wk in supervised visits. He has adamantly told me from the beginning that he does not want to see his father--ever. I do not talk badly about his father to him, nor do I try to discourage him. He's been refusing the visits, and now, over two years later, his father has completed DV therapy and wants to petition the court for unsupervised time w/ son. I feel it should be my child's choice whether or not he wants to go with his father. How old does he have to be to have the right to refuse?

Attorney answers

There are no attorney answers yet. But, check back regularly—people often get a response within 12 hours.