My 5 Years Time Limit on current L1B will be expired on 10/14/2012 and can i apply H1B in april 2013 for full quota of 3 years?

Asked about 2 years ago - Alpharetta, GA

My 5 Years Time Limit on current L1B will be expired on 10/14/2012 and i will be leaving the Country on 09/26/2012 itself. Can i apply for H1B on 04/01/2013 with the same employer with the effective start date of 10/01/2013?. I assume i will be completing 1 year out of USA in this time period.

will I get full 3 years of H1B or will I be considered only for 1 yr( L1B 5 years + 1 yr for H1B)

Please Clarify.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Joseph H Rosen


    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes you can. The five years of L will count towards the six years of H1B max time. On occaision, CIS has denied such applications claiming that your year out of the country must be completed at the time you file the application (4/1/2013) rather than the employment start date(10/1/2013). In your case, because you only have the five yeasr towards the max, you could still file it. In the most conservative manner, you could file for the one year as an H1B and then either extend the approval or file an amended petition to show you are eligible for a new six years.

    I don't know your situation, but I'm surprised that your employer did not change you to an H1B effective 10/1/2012 or start a green card process for you.

  2. George Evander Lee

    Contributor Level 1

    Answered . Yes, you would be eligible for a three year H-1B approval notice effective 10/1/2013.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more
  4. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes you can for more info

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,414 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,414 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering