MY 4 KIDS WERE TAKEN AWAY 17 MONS AGO. I HAVE 3 OPEN PETITIONS. THEY SAID THEY ARE MOVING FORWARD WITH ADOPTION. WHAT CAN I DO?

Asked 3 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

CAN THEY REALLY TAKE THEM AWAY??? MY BOYFRIEND WAS ACCUSED OF SEXUALLY TOUCHING MY TWO DAUGHTERS. THEY WERE GOING TO DROP EVERYTHING. HE LEFT TO CAIL AND MISSED HIS COURT HEARING. SO BECAUSE HE DIDN'T GO TO COURT THEY SAID HE DID DO IT. HE CAME BACK TO LAS VEGAS AND I LET HIM SEE HIS SON. THE CPS FOUND OUT I LET HIM SEE HIS NEW BORN SON AND NOW THEY HAVE TAKEN AWAY MY OTHER SON. NOW I AM FIGHTING THAT CASE TOO. WHAT CAN I DO HERE????? I NEED HELP. IF THERE MOVING FORWARD DOES THAT MEAN I WILL LOSE MY KIDS FOREVER??? I AM CRYING MY EYES OUT AND NOBODY WILL HELP ME

1. Dennis Myron Leavitt

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like you need to immediately meet with a good attorney to discuss your rights. I would think by your question that you would have done this a long time ago if your kids have been gone for 17 months. The alleged purpose of CPS is to protect children from abuse and/or neglect. From your question, it sounds like your boyfriend admitted to or was convicted of sexually assaulting your daughters. The fact that you let your boyfriend around your other kids obviously caused CPS great concern. CPS's theory probably is that you failed to protect your kids. Just because they are moving forward does NOT mean that you will lose your kids. Again, you need to seek out competent counsel as soon as you can to help you do whatever is necessary to keep your kids. The Judge always has the final say and just because they say they are moving forward doesn't mean you will lose. The again alleged purpose of CPS is to reunify families whenever possible, not split them apart.

2. Jill K. Whitbeck

Pro

Answered . CPS does not have a choice but to move forward with a termination of your parental rights and free the children for adoption when the children have been out of the home for 15 out of 22 months. This is federal law (ASFA - Adoption and Safe Families Act). Hearings have been held on your case at least every 12 months and probably more often. If you qualify, you would be assigned a public defender, so you would have legal counsel. It sounds like you have been more concerned about your boyfriend (and father of at least 1 of the children) than about the safety and well being of the children. I suspect that you have not been actively working a case plan toward reunification, and that you have violated CPS terms and conditions at least once. Your boyfriend skipped town because he was looking at being convicted as a sex offender. You choose to view this as "missing a court date" which minimizes a very serious issue. He apparently was convicted, but not yet jailed. You call that "they say he did do it" which implies you didn't believe your own children, and still don't believe he is guilty -- thus rendering you incapable of protecting your children from him. He sneaks into town, and instead of calling the police and having him arrested, you choose to grant him access to children, in clear violation of CPS directives and likely existing court orders. And now you are upset because "CPS found out" which makes it obvious you were concealing this from them -- working against them, and not with them. You are way far behind the 8 ball on this, but it is not yet too late. If there is to be any hope of a reunification, you need to begin to do exactly what CPS tells you to do, and exactly when they tell you to do it. Your boyfriend must be out of your life, permanently. If you do not have a public defender, see if you are eligible to get one. If you are not eligible, but still cannot afford a private attorney, see if you can qualify for pro bono or low income help (through a legal services agency). You have a very long road ahead of you, but if you want your children back and can prove that you are able to provide for them while protecting them, you can still get it done.