Skip to main content

My 3 year old was bit by a dog, should I contact an attorney?

Chattanooga, TN |

My 3 year old went to visit my grandmother for fall break and was bitten by their dog. They did not take her to the hospital and by the time she home infection had set in, which resulted in her being hospitalized. The insurance company has made an offer which after medical bills is less than 8,000. Should I contact a lawyer with the offer being so low or is this a typical amount of this sort of injury?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Yes; local and qualified. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. It is always a good idea to talk to a good personal injury attorney about the case. A good attorney will give you an honest assessment as to whether it is in your daughter's best interest to accept the offer, negotiate or proceed with litigation. You may also need a lawyer's assistance to get court approval of a minor's settlement if required in your state.

    Good luck.

  3. You should contact a qualified attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company will be looking out for their own best interest and not the best interest of your child. You will also need to address whether or not any future treatment will be neeed with your child's physicians. Once the case is settled you will never get any additional money from them so all future contingencies need to be covered. In addition, you need to address health insurance subrogation. If your health insurance or a government paid health insurance paid benefits on behalf of your child, and you recover monies from that case, they are entitled to recover what they have paid for health care treatment. If they are not reimbursed, they can sue you. I've handled a number of dog bite cases. There are specific Tennessee laws on these type of cases. Be very careful trying to handle this on your own.

  4. You should consult with an attorney. Depending on the details of the injury and facts that you have not put in your question, this may or may not be a fair offer.

    In Chattanooga, I recommend attorney Jacob Parker. His number is 423-240-5120. Best wishes.

    This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is any information shared considered privileged or confidential. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney and be aware that there are time limits for asserting potential claims.

  5. Yes. Hire an attorney.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics