My 3 year old was bit by a dog, should I contact an attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chattanooga, TN

My 3 year old went to visit my grandmother for fall break and was bitten by their dog. They did not take her to the hospital and by the time she home infection had set in, which resulted in her being hospitalized. The insurance company has made an offer which after medical bills is less than 8,000. Should I contact a lawyer with the offer being so low or is this a typical amount of this sort of injury?

1. Matthew Charles Hardin

Pro

7

1

Answered . You should contact a qualified attorney as soon as possible. The insurance company will be looking out for their own best interest and not the best interest of your child. You will also need to address whether or not any future treatment will be neeed with your child's physicians. Once the case is settled you will never get any additional money from them so all future contingencies need to be covered. In addition, you need to address health insurance subrogation. If your health insurance or a government paid health insurance paid benefits on behalf of your child, and you recover monies from that case, they are entitled to recover what they have paid for health care treatment. If they are not reimbursed, they can sue you. I've handled a number of dog bite cases. There are specific Tennessee laws on these type of cases. Be very careful trying to handle this on your own.

2. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

8

1

Answered . It is always a good idea to talk to a good personal injury attorney about the case. A good attorney will give you an honest assessment as to whether it is in your daughter's best interest to accept the offer, negotiate or proceed with litigation. You may also need a lawyer's assistance to get court approval of a minor's settlement if required in your state.

3. Russell Warren Lewis IV

Pro

6

1

Answered . You should consult with an attorney. Depending on the details of the injury and facts that you have not put in your question, this may or may not be a fair offer.

In Chattanooga, I recommend attorney Jacob Parker. His number is 423-240-5120. Best wishes.

4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

7

1

Answered . Yes; local and qualified. Good luck.

5. Randy William Ferguson

6

Answered . Yes. Hire an attorney.

6. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

5

Answered . Short answer: Yes, hire an attorney.

7. Juan Jesus Ordaz Jr

Pro

5

Answered . Yes.