My 3 day notice, that I received today, has today's date as the date I need to vacate the premises. Is this valid?

Killeen, TX |

I received a 3 day notice today, May 23 2014. It states that I have to either pay the past due rent or vacate the premises by May 23. 2014. How is this valid, if the date I have to leave is stated as today, but it is a 3 day notice. The date at the top of the notice has today's date as the day the notice was served.

1. Did your lease state you could be given less than 3 days notice, even though the guy is calling it a 3 day notice? Review the lease, talk to a lawyer offline in your area ASAP then. Best of luck

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.

2. The notice could be invalid, however many justice court judges will allow the flaw if the landlord actually gives you the three days. You should certainly fight the notice if an eviction is filed. However in the long run if you are behind in rent and cannot come to an agreement with the landlord, in writing, then eventually the landlord will prevail and have you evicted. You should have your lease and the situation reviewed by an attorney in a free consultation. You can obtain full representation for around $500 with assistance after the matter is resolved.