My 23 yr old graduated last May, 2010, works part time . Can I claim him as dependent for tax year 2010 ?

Asked over 3 years ago - Austin, TX

Although I paid his last tuition bill on Dec 2009.

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . I disagree with the prior attorney. Your son may still qualify as a student. In the same publication cited by the prior attorney, Student is defined as follows: "To qualify as a student, your child must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year:
    A full-time student at a school that has a regular teaching staff, course of study, and a regularly enrolled student body at the school.........The 5 calendar months do not have to be consecutive." So if he meets the other tests of dependency (Relationship, Residency,
    Support, and Joint return, he may be claimed as a dependent.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net
    website
    blog <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/

2. Michael Prozan

Pro

Answered . Looks like the child must be a full time student if over 19.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#e...

3. Michael Prozan

Pro

Answered . I should clarify, full time student at the end of the year.

4. Robert Jan Suhajda

Answered . Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 [at end of tax year] if a full-time student for at least five months of the year. It looks like you are a border line case. He may not be a full time student for at least 5 months of the year. It seems as if the intent of the law is to allow you a dependent exemption if you provided 1/2 of his support.

Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    Attorney-At-Law
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701
    562-924-8922

Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
    Homeowner Association Strategist.