My 21 years old daughter is applying for ssi due to disability. If in a future she will be able to work (as we hope ).

Asked about 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

My 21 years old daughter is applying for SSI due to disability. If in a future she will be able to work (as we hope). Is the fact that she once was on SSI will make it harder for her to get a better job? I know peoples were asked on a job interview if there were on SSI. Will she forever be stamped as handicaped person ?

1. Ronald Joseph Kim

3

Answered . It is against Federal, New York State and New York City law to deny a.person employment because of a disability.

2. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . Attorney Kim is absolutely correct, if your daughter feels she has been denied employment due to her disability she should consult with an experienced employment attorney immediately.

3. Olia Marie Yelner

Answered . It should not- it is against Federal law to discriminate on the basis of disability. On the contrary, she may be eligible for programs that will train her for a job or help her find a job in a supported environment.