My 21 years old daughter is applying for ssi due to disability. If in a future she will be able to work (as we hope ).

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Employment

My 21 years old daughter is applying for SSI due to disability. If in a future she will be able to work (as we hope). Is the fact that she once was on SSI will make it harder for her to get a better job? I know peoples were asked on a job interview if there were on SSI. Will she forever be stamped as handicaped person ?

It is against Federal, New York State and New York City law to deny a.person employment because of a disability.

Attorney Kim is absolutely correct, if your daughter feels she has been denied employment due to her disability she should consult with an experienced employment attorney immediately.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

It should not- it is against Federal law to discriminate on the basis of disability. On the contrary, she may be eligible for programs that will train her for a job or help her find a job in a supported environment.

Recommended articles about Employment