My 21 year old son is charged with furnishing liquor to his minor 20 year old at college. A class "D" misdemeanor.

Bethel Park, PA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

He's a senior at State College a the police were holding a sting operation at a local liquor store. What can happen to him? Should I get an attorney?

The minimum fine is $1000.00 and Furnishing Alcohol to Minors is a misdemeanor 3 with a maximu jail sentence of one year. You should hire an attorney. He is probably eligible for ARD which is a pretrial program for first offenders which, if successfully completed will result in dismissal and expungement. An attorney will know whether there are any viable defenses and whether it is in his best interest to plead to a lesser charge.

Yes, secure an experienced attorney. My first suggestion is Attorney Jason Dunkle who is in State College and as familiar with offenses involving alcohol and minors as anyone in the state. He is listed on this website.

I'm not sure how a 21 year old has a 20 year old minor which he would be providing alcohol but it would be best to consult an attorney

Thomas Kenny tkenny@kmkmlaw.com 2152668544 Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. Posting a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question. If you would like to consult with me privately, you may do so.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

I've got to guess that you're joking, but in case you're not check out Matthew 7:2-5. The questioner obviously made a mistake at the keyboard.

Thomas Kenny

Thomas Kenny

Immaculate conception! Yes just sarcasm. I tend to do that sometimes.

My colleagues have the right of it, consult with an attorney, having a criminal record can have lasting effects on your son. Best of luck.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

I practice criminal defense in State College, PA, and the scenario you describe is very common. I handle cases like this all the time. If your son has no prior record, he should be eligible for the ARD program.