My 20 year old son was charged with underage conumption does he need an attorney? This is his first offense.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cadiz, OH

My son is 20, and is living on campus at college two hours from home. He recently attended an off campus party in portage county, ohio. Law enforcement was called on a noise complaint and talked with everyone at the party. When the deputy asked my son if he'd been drinking, he admitted he was, he had to call us to get him, but since we were two hours away, they told him he could leave on his own, and that he would receive a summons in the mail.

1. Matthew Charles Bangerter

Pro

6

Answered . Underage consumption is a crime, with very real consequences. An attorney would certainly help you navigate through the court system and get the best result possible for your son. Although your description of the events is brief, they do suggest a couple possible methods of attacking the charges.

@BangerterLaw

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

4

Answered . Yes he needs an attorney. He is facing up to 180 days in jail and a $1000 fine. He is also facing having this on his record for at least the next year. An attorney can review the case and try and resolve the case in a way that would be acceptable. Another problem that often creeps up is that college students can be disciplined and even expelled for things that happen off campus. Your son should hire an attorney to assist him with this process. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, LLC
    Dayton, Ohio
    (937)510-6110
    www.becklawofficellc.com

3. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, he needs an attorney. It would be a shame if all of the hard work he put in to get to college and proceed to graduate from college could be undone with a criminal record.

4. Ian Edmund Scott

3

Answered . A criminal record would be a real shame. You should hire a lawyer to get the best possible outcome.