My 2-year conditional green card expired in September of last year, can I reapply on my own without my lawyer?

Lake Park, FL |

I was married to my ex-wife in January 2010, our marriage became rocky, and we separated a year later after she blatantly cheated on me at our job with a co-worker. Our divorce was finalized in February 2013. My conditional green card expired on September 21st, 2012, and before I could get a chance to renew it, I was layed off. I have been unable to get employment since, and my lawyer is asking $600 dollars on top of the $501 of the application process through USCIS, which I do not have! I am currently working under the table, but thats only enough to keep a roof over my head after I lost my home. What do you suggest I do?

You need to remove the conditions on your residence which you can file late. The fact that you have divorced does not mean your petition cannot be approved. Additionally, there is no need for you to be working "under the table" during this process. A competent and experienced immigration attorney will be able to get your proof of lawful status during the pendency of your case and it seems like you are not being properly advised.

There is no requirement that you be represented by an attorney. You can do anything you want by yourself. Whether that is a wise thing to do is another story. There is an old adage: He who represents himself has a fool for a client. This is much more to immigration then just completing forms and it appears you have a complicated case so retaining competent counsel would appear to be a wise move on your part.

If you cannot afford counsel, contact organizations like the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County or Catholic Charities so see if you qualify for pro bono representation.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

Thank you so much to all the Attorneys that responded to my issue. Yes I shouldn't have to work under the table but the attorney that is handling my case is basically not doing anything until I pay him, and give him the money for the form. Which is the reason why i was wondering if there was a form i can file until then. I do qualify for the Deferred Action program, due to the fact i came to the US before I was 13, and I'm now 27 with no criminal record.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

It would appear that you do not qualify for DACA as you were in lawful status on June 15, 2012. Trying to utilize "stop gap" measures is just going to complicate matters further. Unless your attorney has agreed to handle you case pro bono he has not agreed to work for free. I recommend you save your money and retain experienced counsel rather than waste it trying to do things yourself. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer!

You do not have to have an attorney. However, these cases are very complex and I doubt you will be able to successfully handle a waiver case on your own.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

I agree with my colleague that you can still file late and there is no need for you to be working "under the table" at this point. You probably should have competent counsel for this process if you are not sure what you are doing.

*** This post is provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information and materials provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. Nothing on this post is intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. If you require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, ***