My 2-year conditional green card expired in September of last year, can I reapply on my own without my lawyer?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lake Park, FL

I was married to my ex-wife in January 2010, our marriage became rocky, and we separated a year later after she blatantly cheated on me at our job with a co-worker. Our divorce was finalized in February 2013. My conditional green card expired on September 21st, 2012, and before I could get a chance to renew it, I was layed off. I have been unable to get employment since, and my lawyer is asking $600 dollars on top of the $501 of the application process through USCIS, which I do not have! I am currently working under the table, but thats only enough to keep a roof over my head after I lost my home. What do you suggest I do?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to remove the conditions on your residence which you can file late. The fact that you have divorced does not mean your petition cannot be approved. Additionally, there is no need for you to be working "under the table" during this process. A competent and experienced immigration attorney will be able to get your proof of lawful status during the pendency of your case and it seems like you are not being properly advised.

    There is no requirement that you be represented by an attorney. You can do anything you want by yourself. Whether that is a wise thing to do is another story. There is an old adage: He who represents himself has a fool for a client. This is much more to immigration then just completing forms and it appears you have a complicated case so retaining competent counsel would appear to be a wise move on your part.

    If you cannot afford counsel, contact organizations like the Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County or Catholic Charities so see if you qualify for pro bono representation.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do not have to have an attorney. However, these cases are very complex and I doubt you will be able to successfully handle a waiver case on your own.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Omar Kareem Qadeer

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague that you can still file late and there is no need for you to be working "under the table" at this point. You probably should have competent counsel for this process if you are not sure what you are doing.

    *** This post is provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. The... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,179 answers this week

3,126 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,179 answers this week

3,126 attorneys answering