My 19 yr. old nephew was arrested for Third degree grand theft in Florida a few days ago.

Vero Beach, FL |

From the details I know, he and a friend shoplifted video games, and then attempted to return them for cash which is how it went from shoplifting to 3rd degree grand theft. He has never been in trouble before. Can you tell me what court this will be held in? Municipal or Superior? HIS RECORD IS MY MAIN CONCERN. As it is a felony with no prior, might he be eligible for probation and community service and a diversionary program where he will end up without a conviction and be able to expunge the arrest in 2 years?
We understand the seriousness of this and will be hiring an attorney. We'd really like to see this handled in a way that he can enlist in the Coast Guard, but I don't know if he can do that while on probation. Any adivce is appreciated.

1. It will be handled in circuit court. If he has no priors and the charge is in Indian River County, a local lawyer will have to advise you if there is a diversion program. If there is a program and he is eligible then he would be eligible to get the charge dropped.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

2. Be proactive and definitely speak to competent counsel right away, as I believe Indian River County (in the same Circuit as I reside) has a program that he may be eligible for. And Vero Beach has several fine criminal defense counsel to choose from.

3. Your nephew's case will be handled in the Circuit Court for the county in which he was arrested. The maximum a person can receive for a third degree felony is 5 years in prison, 5 years of probation, $5000.00 fine, or a combination of the three. Based on your nephew having no prior criminal record, there is a good probability the State may offer him a diversion program which will results in a dismissal if he successfully completes the program. Based on the information you provided, your nephew will be eligible to have the arrest expunged from his record once the case is dismissed. If he has not already enlisted, then there is a possibility, they will not let him enlist until the felony charge is dismissed, but this would really be a question for the Coast Guard Recruiter.

4. In Florida, misdemeanor cases are handled in county court. Felony cases are handled in circuit court. If there is a mixture of charges in a single case, they will all be tried in circuit court (unless they are severed, which would require a motion).

There is no such charge in the State of Florida called “shoplifting.” Shoplifting is generally charged as either petit theft or grand theft. Florida Statute 812.013 governs. If the value of the property taken was $300 or more, it will generally be charged as grand theft (a felony). If it was less than $300, it will generally be charged as petit theft (a misdemeanor). If the State charges one with grand theft but fails to establish valuation at trial (but proves every other requirement element), one may be convicted of the lesser included offense of petit theft.

There is a realistic possibility, depending upon the circumstances, that he could avoid an adjudication, which would require that he acknowledge having been convicted of a felony on all future employment and school applications. Going for a withhold of adjudication is absolutely a possibility depending upon the circumstances.

I would strongly suggest that your nephew hire an attorney immediately. Indian River County has plenty of criminal defense attorneys who are exceptionally qualified. If, for any reason, he has difficulty locating an attorney he trusts in Indian River County, and he would like to set up a consultation with me, I am located in Melbourne, about 40 minutes north of you and would be happy to speak with him.

The above advice is intended to be educational only. Any legal issue(s) should be brought to the attention of a licensed and qualified attorney in your state of residence. No attorney-client relationship exists or should be construed to exist by virtue of this post.

5. His case will be disposed of in circuit court. There are options available to him as the other attorneys discussed that may result in his charges being dropped.
    www.colleenglenn.com

6. As good Florida lawyers have told you, this will be handled in Circuit Court. It may be possible to keep him from having a felony record, or even a criminal conviction out of this, but proactive steps are needed, beginning with hiring a good criminal defense lawyer there for him.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.