My 18 yr old received a MIP ticket one year after the incident occurred?

Asked about 5 years ago - Seattle, WA

My daughter was at a Mariner game, had a beer and was approached by an officer, who established she was not of age, poured out here beer, took down her information and she left. One year and 2 months later, she received a MIP citation in the mail? Isn't this a little late?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gregory L Fullington

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You may be correct. Possession of alcohol by a minor is a misdemeanor under Wahsington law. RCW 9A.04.080(1)(j) states that no misdemeanor may be prosecuted more than one year after its commission. What you want to look for is when the charge was filed by the prosecutor. If it was filed prior to the one year statute of limitaitons, then it will likely stand up. However, if it was filed after the one year period, you likely have a defense to the charge.

  2. Liza E. Burke


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Yes, it does seem a little late, but the prosecutor has filed the charge within proper timelines. MIP is a gross misdemeanor and gross misdemeanors can be filed if filed within two years of the incident. However, a review of the facts and procedure thus far might reveal other possible avenues of defense.

  3. Joseph Briscoe Dane


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . In addition to the statutory cut-off for the prosecution to file charges, there may be a common-law motion to dismiss for pre-filing delay. It's not as though this case was so complicated or took a lengthy investigation before it could be filed.

    Even if the prosecutor's office met the statute of limitations, your daughter's attorney should look into the second prong of this motion to dismiss.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now