My 18 year old son was in a car accident. Should I retain a lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

My son and his girlfriend were in a car accident. The car, registered in his name, was totaled. He was found at fault for the accident. His girlfriend has been in the hospital for several weeks and is expected to require physical therapy over the next 2 or 3 months. I was just informed by my insurance company that the passenger of the car that hit them has retained an attorney. This passenger was taken to the ER and immediatly released after the accident. I have bodily injury coverage of $100k per person and $300k per occurance. My son has no assets. Should I be consulting a lawyer?

1. Richard Waldron Bryans Jr.

9

Best Answer

Answered . Assuming a valid auto insurance policy in force at the time of the accident, your insurance company and its attorneys will presumably handle any claims, provided your son was not an excluded driver under your policy.

2. Nelson Patrick Boyle

7

Answered . Hopefully, your son's car was insured. If so, contact the insurer. If not,
    then you should contact an attorney.

Cordially,

Nelson Boyle
    *Carter Boyle LLC*
    36 Steele Street - #200
    Denver, CO 80206
    P: (303) 501-1825 | F: (303) 835-7100
    Nelson@CarterBoyle.com
    www.CarterBoyle.com

Thank you for your confidence in our firm. Your satisfaction and referrals
    are the key to our success.

The information contained in this e-mail transmission is confidential and
    is protected by applicable law. Any unintended recipient of this message is
    prohibited from reading or disclosing the information contained in this
    transmission. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please
    call (303) 501-1825.
    >

Pro

7

1

Answered . Report it to your insurance company to resolve. If a lawsuit is filed, the insurance company will provide a lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

7

Answered . Yes, consult with local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. Your son's girlfriend should retain an attorney to pursue her claim against your son. Most importantly, notice and cooperate with your insurance company. Good luck.

5. Stephen Clark Harkess

3

Answered . If your insurance company can settle the claim without litigation then you will likely not need an attorney. The only damage you will suffer in that case is in the nature of higher insurance rates. If the case results in a lawsuit, your insurance company should provide counsel to defend the insured.

6. Jeremy Richard Rosenthal

Pro

1

Answered . Your insurance company will get your son a lawyer if he is sued, assuming that he was a permissive driver of your car. If you have any doubts about the lawyer who the issuerinsurer hires for you you can consider asking them to hire you as separate lawyer or hiring your own lawyer yourself.

7. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

2

Answered . You should hire an attorney to keep an eye on the defense and if possible, force the insurers to offer their policy limits and settle the case within the policy limits. You do not want a judgment enterred against your son that follows him forever.