My 17 year old daughter was caught shoplifting at a department store, her sister age 21 was with her at the time.

Danbury, CT |

They told my daughter she would have to pay money to them for stealing, they did get back all the merchandise. now I got a call for my 17 year old daughter from a collection agency. Is she liable to pay money even though they got the merchandise? They, (Kohls Department Store) said they would send her something in the mail, but never did. Am I, as her parent liable? Thank you.

1. If Kohls begins a small claims action, worry about it then. I don't believe that you will be liable.

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. Store's often times threaten this but never act on it as it would cost them too much money to actually pursue some type of damages or civil lawsuit, especially when you have a defense that all of the merchandise was returned to them. As prior counsel said I would not worry about it at this point. You should worry more about the disposition of your daughter's case so that it is not on her record. Feel free to contact me at attymccabe@gmail.com or call me at 203-377-4111 to discuss the case further if your daughter needs representation in Court. Regards, Thomas McCabe

3. Ignore any and all letters sent on behalf of Kohl's seeking payment of a "civil fine".