My 17 year old daughter was caught shoplifting at a department store, her sister age 21 was with her at the time.

Asked about 1 year ago - Danbury, CT

They told my daughter she would have to pay money to them for stealing, they did get back all the merchandise. now I got a call for my 17 year old daughter from a collection agency. Is she liable to pay money even though they got the merchandise? They, (Kohls Department Store) said they would send her something in the mail, but never did. Am I, as her parent liable? Thank you.

1. Salvatore Bonanno

Pro

1

Answered . If Kohls begins a small claims action, worry about it then. I don't believe that you will be liable.

2. Thomas E. Mccabe

Pro

1

Answered . Store's often times threaten this but never act on it as it would cost them too much money to actually pursue some type of damages or civil lawsuit, especially when you have a defense that all of the merchandise was returned to them. As prior counsel said I would not worry about it at this point. You should worry more about the disposition of your daughter's case so that it is not on her record. Feel free to contact me at attymccabe@gmail.com or call me at 203-377-4111 to discuss the case further if your daughter needs representation in Court. Regards, Thomas McCabe

3. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

Answered . Ignore any and all letters sent on behalf of Kohl's seeking payment of a "civil fine".

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now