Skip to main content

My 16 yr old son is being charged with grand larceny with thee amount of over $2000?

Brooklyn, NY |

my 16 yr old was arrested by d.t's for having stolen property on him (phones) in thee amount of over $2000. he was release within 24 hr & schedule to appear at surperme court on sept 11. he is being charged wit grand larceny. .....he has been arrested once before for also having stolen phones on him but not caught taking the phone he was stopped & the phones were on him. he was send to do community service & pay a fine. this was in criminal court. myself with the board of ed is working to place him in a residential school, will this be something that his lawyer will be able to work with in court ?

i do not yet know the degree of the charge.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. None can predict. He may be facing jail. Needs attorney ASAP.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

  2. It depends on what you mean by work out. I suggest you retain a good criminal defense lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Yes, although your son's background in similar conduct in the past will make things more difficult in dealing with the prosecutor.

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  4. The fact that your son was arrested, released at arraignment and already scheduled to appear in Supreme Court on the indictment, suggests that he is being given special treatment by the Kings DA. He needs a good criminal attorney and needs one quickly. The prognosis if he waits is bleak. You must choose between spending your money on a lawyer, or on the rest of your family. If you are committed to saving him, you may contact me at There are no guarantees.

  5. He is not being given any special treatment at all. That is a incorrect statement. My guess is that he is scheduled to appear in Supreme Court in Part AP1 in September? The long date is because he was released by the Judge at arraignments, and is totally typical for an "out" or released defendant. In the interim time period, the DA's office is deciding whether or not to indict him. They will most certainly take his past behavior into account. This is a good time to hire an attorney, so that you can get any and all information from the DA's office. This window between now and the next court date, is the prime opportunity to work out a plea.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics