My 16 yr.old Daughter is pregnant if she has baby can she get child support from the 15 year old boy or his parents.

Asked over 1 year ago - Rockville Centre, NY

My concern is that the boy does not work he is a student so is the financial burden on myself, to support financially support the baby or will the other grandparents be responsible to help out.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . She should file for paternity and request child support, child care and medical coverage. Not sure if the minor will be held responsible. But start the process for paternity and give it a try. Even if he is responsible, it will be based on his limited income, which could result in an award of as little as $25 of month. When he earns more he could be brought bsck for an upward modification. Not sure if his parents would be financially responsible when he is under 18. Above 18 he would be responsible to pay and not his parents. Speak with an experienced family law attorney to assist you in this matter,

2. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

3

Answered . She can ask for child support however, since the boy is still in school and not of employable age, the support will be $25 per month until he finishes school and can get a job.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
  3. Lori Noel Bovee

3

Answered . Assuming he doesn't have a part time job, the support will be set at $25 per month until he becomes of an employable age. His parents have no obligation to support the child. She will need to file for paternity and child support.

4. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, but at least initially the financial burden is going to fall on you and your daughter. As the boy grows up and earns an income, your daughter will be able to seek increased payments