My 16 year old sister is living with me and some friends. our mother is refusing to sign even temporary custody.

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

is there anything i can do to make her sign custody over to me or someone else? we have tried to explain to her that we only want it incase she needs to go to the hospital. my mother lives about 2 hours away in the state of georgia.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Milton Acevedo

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the circumstances and your age and many other factors. You may be able to petition the court, but should definitely consult with an attorney to weigh your options.

    Please be advised this is for informational purposes and should not be construed as legal advice. Please also be... more
  2. Carin Manders Constantine


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How old are you and why is she living with you?

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq.... more
  3. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can file a petition for temporary custody by extended family, but if the mother will not sign a consent, you must prove that she is unfit. This will cost a ton of money. So, the best thing to do is to impress upon your mom the necessity of her consent pursuant to Florida Law.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  4. Michelle Rene Fernandez

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If the mother won't sign then you have to go to court and let the court evaluate the situation. The court have to find the mother unfit in order for another party, you, to step in as the adult to make decisions for the child. It would be a good idea to contact an attorney to discuss your options.

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,727 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,727 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering