My 16 year old is on probabtion in ventura county , how do I get his cell phone back that the cops took from him?

Ventura, CA |

My 16 year old son is on probation for graffiti tools and the Moorpark police did a probation search and took my son's cell phone for evidence on a case they have been investicating and my son was arrested that day also. They say there's evidence on his phone for what they arrested him for. How do I get his phone back? What "Motion" or "Petition" do I file for his property back?

You can't get his cell phone back until his case is over.

I can't do anything to get it back at all? Can't I file a Motion to get it?

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

Not until the case is over.

Generally, you won't get property back until probation is complete, because there could be a violation of probation, or your son could possibly move to withdraw his plea and try the case. Because of this, the DAs will not allow property to be released, at least, until six months after probation, when it is clear the person will working on the terms of probation and doing well.

I am not a CA lawyer, but generally property is returned when the case is over, which is when his probation expires. You may want to confer with his original lawyer.

Juvenile law topics