My 15 year old was charged with trespassing and building bonfire

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Son was charged Friday eve. Officer just called and said I forgot to have parents sign may I come over to your home. Should we sign papers? My son signed the night of incident.

1. David B Pittman

Pro

2

Answered . I would consult a lawyer before signing anything,

2. Amir A. Ladan

Pro

2

Answered . I agree that a further discussion with counsel is in your son's best interest. Although I doubt you'd be sacrificing any rights or interfering with your son's legal defenses, it's best to have a thorough conversation with a lawyer before taking any affirmative steps.

3. Sandra S. Seder

2

Answered . As a former juvenile prosecutor in Palm Beach County, you should not sign anything without consulting with an attorney. In fact, you do not have to speak with the police if you do not want to do so and you should not speak with them without consulting an attorney. Should you decide to speak with the police, you should have your attorney present. It is impossible to give a more complete answer at this time since we do not know all of the facts related to the officer's request.

4. James W Chandler

Pro

1

Answered . Building a bon fire, so long as no property was damaged, is not a crime, unless there is some county ordinance against it. I would hire an attorney that does delinquency defense, and have them get with him/her.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now