My 15 year old son wants to change his last name to mine. what is cost and how do we do this.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

his father and I were never married
his father rarely contacts him
My son no longer wishes to carry his fathers last name.
Do we even need his fathers permission?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mohammad Ahmed Faruqui

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You have to file a Petition for Name Change. An attorney may charge you according to his or her estimate of how long it will take to prepare that petition and have the Court approve the name change at a hearing. Some attorneys may charge you a flat fee. In addition to the attorney fees, the Clerk of Court will charge you a $401 filing fee to start the petition.

  2. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You don't strictly need the father's permission, it's still up to the judge. However, the law requires that you notice the father by serving him with a copy of the name change petition, and the father has the right to object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,954 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,954 answers this week

2,947 attorneys answering