My "boyfriend" took my rental car and apparently has a revoked license.

Baltimore, MD |

He was pulled over for speeding and five other offenses, giving false name to police, driving under suspension.... the car was impounded due to it being involved in a crime. Though I stated at the time it was not stolen ( I was scared and still taken in by him) I have had to deal with the rental car company and impound charges etc. This same "friend" also took my credit cards and wracked up $10,000. What the heck do I do? I did file a police report for the credit cards. But I rented the car - am I liable?

You might be. Look to your rental car contract and see what it says about allowing other individuals to drive the vehicle. If you stated that the car was not stolen, then impliedly you allowed your boyfriend to drive the vehicle which may be a breach of your rental agreement. Moreover, your credibility is now an issue, because you first stated that the car was not stolen -- now you'd have to prove that the car was, in fact, stolen.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.