My "boyfriend" took my rental car and apparently has a revoked license.

Asked over 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

He was pulled over for speeding and five other offenses, giving false name to police, driving under suspension.... the car was impounded due to it being involved in a crime. Though I stated at the time it was not stolen ( I was scared and still taken in by him) I have had to deal with the rental car company and impound charges etc. This same "friend" also took my credit cards and wracked up $10,000. What the heck do I do? I did file a police report for the credit cards. But I rented the car - am I liable?

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . You might be. Look to your rental car contract and see what it says about allowing other individuals to drive the vehicle. If you stated that the car was not stolen, then impliedly you allowed your boyfriend to drive the vehicle which may be a breach of your rental agreement. Moreover, your credibility is now an issue, because you first stated that the car was not stolen -- now you'd have to prove that the car was, in fact, stolen.