Skip to main content

My 2 year L1B Visa expires in October 2013. How do I renew it?

San Diego, CA |

Canadian Citizen, Professional Engineer. Employed by an American Company from Boston, Mass. I travel to different States/Consultant Engineer returning home for data input.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your employer can file an extension request with USCIS or you apply for a new I-94 at the border.


To extend status, you employer must file a petition to do so. To extend a visa stamp, you must apply for a new one at a US Embassy/Consulate.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues. L-1B is a company petition. If they want you to continue, they will file for an extension.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer