Must the judge who issued a warrant be the same judge who signs it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

The search warrant say it was issued but a certain judge "x" but the signature is not judge X, it has a different name/signature...

1. Jenna Cyra Finkelstein

5

Answered . Is it possible that there is a judge's name printed and then the signature is unclear so appears to be a different name? A judge who reviews a probable cause affidavit, and in turns issues a warrant, will just sign the last page of the document. When a judge signs that warrant, it is "issued"

2. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

5

Answered . It sounds as if you may be describing a scribner's error, however issuing warrants is serious business and there are strict rules that must be followed. Contact a criminal defense attorney to review the warrant and ascertain if there are any applicable, appropriate motions to be filed.

3. Bryan Andrew Lober

4

Answered . It is possible that another judge signed on that judge's behalf. Attorneys sign on behalf of other attorneys frequently. I don't think I've ever noticed this done by a judge, but I suppose it is possible.

4. Gerald Laverne Wilkerson II

4

Answered . A judge issues a warrant by signing it. So the question is confusing. What is the underlying issue? It will likely make very little, if any, difference in the outcome of the case. I would need more information.

5. Benjamin J Lieberman

4

Answered . That doesn’t make much sense. Issuing the warrant essentially means signing it.