Must me and my husband have a Will?

Asked 12 months ago - Elyria, OH

Me and my husband do not agree on our home, we both come from previous marriages, I sold mine and put the deposit down on our home, he just signed his over to his ex. Now he has stage 4 cancer and I do not agree that his 2 adult daughters should not have no claims to the home we raised my 3 children at. All children are over 25. If I don't sign the his Will. Will I lose my home? The loan is in his name and the home is in both of our name. I know this probably sound terrible but his life insurance gets split so what happens to our home?

1. Nicholas Isaac Andersen

6

Answered . A will would be great. However, as a surviving spouse you will have rights if he passes away. Ohio law will give you some rights in the home if you choose to elect the house as part of your share. However, there may be issues since he is the only one on the loan. This is worth talking with an attorney about in your area. Use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" function or contact the Lorain County Bar Association for a referral.

2. C L Huddleston III

Pro

4

Answered . As my colleagues have said, you need to meet with an expert, experienced estate planning attorney right away so he or she can take a look at the arithmetic of your situation along with the documents. When he dies, the bank can "call" the loan, meaning you will need to get a new mortgage. Or they can let you keep the loan, but someone must make the payments. If you will need the insurance to be able to afford to make those payments, it would be best for you to be the sole beneficiary, but it is also understandable that he would want to leave something for his daughters. This type of situation is very complicated emotionally, even more so when one has a terminal condition. You need to purchase an hour or two of consultation from an expert lawyer which will probably cost you from $300 to $500 but should be well worth it.

Your second sentence is a bit complex. If I am reading it correctly you say you want his daughters to get a part of your house eventually, but I suspect that is not what you meant to say.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

3

Answered . I agree with Attorney Anderson. Please retain an experienced Ohio lawyer to review your circumstances and assist you with your estate planning. Good luck to you.

4. Estela Matta

Pro

Answered . A will is always a good way to clarify the intents of the testator (person making the will); however under intestacy laws (when a person dies without a will) generally, the wife get the first $50K of the estate assets and a portion of everything there after. You should speak to a local estate attorney to help you decide what is the best way to go. State laws vary and a local estate attorney would be in the best position to know state laws. Don't hesitate to search on avvo.com for a qualified attorney.