Must LA Police fasten your seat belt?

I was arrested for a misdemeanor and put in the back seat of a patrol car. I was very cooperative but the police did not fasten my seat belt and this might have been caught on video nearby (non-police). Must the police fasten your seat belt if you are arrested and put in the back of a patrol car? Is it legal to not wear a seat belt in CA if you are over a certain age? Thank You.

1. If you are put in the backseat of a moving police car, and your hands are restrained behind you, then they must fasten your seat belt.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. They should but if you think that is going to some how void the arrest or reduce the charges you are mistaken.

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

3. They should. If you sustained injuries in an accident, have a local personal injury lawyer investigate. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a LOW contingency fee. Good luck.