Skip to main content

Must I file an initial complaint at a particular courthouse in Cook County?

Chicago, IL |

I live in Cook County, which has six municipal districts. If I initiate a civil action, provided I have denoted the proper municipal district in my complaint, am I able to file it at The Daley Center, or must it be filed at the courthouse affiliated with that municipal district?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. As long as you have designated which district the case is to be heard in, you can file in the Daley Center. The clerks know how to handle this.

  2. You can file it in the Daley Center.

  3. I agree, most Chicago matters should be filed in the Daley Center. Although there is consideration given to where the defendant resides, if the defendant files an appearance in the Daley Center, and does not challenge the venue, it will stay in Daley Center. Good Luck

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics