Must I declare proceeds from sale of house under living trust on tax forms?

Asked over 3 years ago - Oakland, CA

My late father's home was under a living trust. It was sold and monies distributed to the beneficiaries. Must I declare this as income and/or capitol gains on my federal and state tax forms? I was told I had to do nothing but am unsure if this is correct.

Thanks

1. Robert Jan Suhajda

Answered . You have nothing to do but the successor trustee has to file a tax return for the decedent and the estate and issue you a K-1 for any income tax.

If the home sold after his demise, then the transaction is reported by the irrevocable administrative trust that arises on death. The tranaction is taxed to the trust unless a final distribution has been make then it flows to the beneficiaries. It sounds like this is the case.
    So ask if you will receive a K-1. Seek services of the attorney who set up the trust or an estate planning attorney.

Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    Attorney-At-Law
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701
    562-924-8922

Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns,
    Homeowner Association Strategist.

2. Shirley Ongee Tam

Answered . Oftentimes, the provisions of the living trust will have instructions on the payment of taxes, whether they are Federal Estate Taxes or income taxes (e.g. to be paid by the trust or that the Trustee advances payment of the taxes and then those tax payments are later deducted from the beneficiaries' share). Sometimes, there is a tax advantage to allow the beneficiary to pay any potential taxes if their tax bracket is lower than the trust's tax level.

In most situations, the Trustee will prepare a fiduciary tax return on form 1041 to report the sale of the property because it was sold as an asset belonging to the trust.

Contact the trust administration attorney and/or the CPA to get a complete answer to your question.

Attorney Disclaimer:
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . The prior attorney offers sound advice. The short answer here is that you report this transaction as it is presented to you via a Form K-1 (Form 1041). That form reflects your share as beneficiary of all and any items of income or final expenses of the estate that come out to you. Get with an experienced tax/estates attorney to make sure all of this is done correclty.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties in the state of Pennsylvania. He phone number is 215-735-2336 and his email address is listed below.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.
    sjfpc@comcast.net
    website
    blog <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/