Must I amend the complaint once the true names of the Doe Defendants are discovered and how should they be named on the summons?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bakersfield, CA

I have named Doe Defendants and am conducting discovery to get their true names.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Look at your local rules of practice. You would generally file an amendment to the complaint. Los Angeles, for example, has a specific form for this purpose.

    You use the summons you have now. At the bottom, you check the box where it says the person was served as Doe 1.

  2. John Joseph O'Brien

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Yes, once the defendant's true name is discovered, you must amend the complaint. San Diego has a form as well. Check the forms on your court's website.

    The information/answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Consult an attorney regarding your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,490 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,490 answers this week

3,577 attorneys answering