Must I allow the utility company access to my rental unit on request of an investigation by a tenant after the lease expired?

Phoenixville, PA |

Must I allow the utility company access to my rental unit on request of an investigation by a tenant after the lease expired? He received a judgement against him for deliquent rent, stayed just until eviction would take place. He closed the utility account and filed request for evidence of wiring tampering that would have put the water heater and hall way light on h/h circuit the same day . The tenant rented for five years without complaining or initiating an investigation. He might be trying to make me responsible for his past electric bill if the light and furness were on his circuit. The magistrate informed the tenant that I "do not have to do anything" re: his damage deposit unless he leaves a forwarding address. He did not. I have some damages, more due rent and a filthy apartment.

1. Unless you are hiding something, why wouldn't you grant them Access?
    You should get a local lawyer to further explore your rights and potential liabilities.

NOTE: (1) I may be guessing and/or not even licensed in your state; (2) We have not established an attorney-client relationship; (3) Sometimes you get what you pay for; and (4) If you want to send me a gift, my favorite color is orange.

2. I agree with the previous answer. Unless a statute , lease provision, easement, search warrant, or court order that demands access you do not have to allow it. Just ask them to "cite their authority" that forces the party seeking access to show you how they have the right.
    Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Landlord-tenant law topics