Must File aCh.7 What would be a good book ,website, tips , must file on my own

Asked about 1 year ago - Plainfield, NJ

Got sick 2yrs overa140,000 in debt, tried to rebuild but Sandy knock medown again. Got no money, got over 7 Judgement, sheiff have been to my Home """DAD?MOM""" Dadtold then this is his home ""it is with Mom"" still calling,sendying letter go No help form Legfal aid

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

2

Answered . Bankruptcy law poses many procedural and legal complexities. I can't recommend doing it yourself. Based on what is at stake, you can't afford NOT to retain an attorney. The publisher NOLO has a decent book on How To File Chapter 7 Bankruptcy. I have nothing to do with them. Almost every other page tells you when the swamp gets deep, retain an attorney. Their books are available in big box book stores and web sites and cover the basics in relatively simple language. Here is a website with basic general bankruptcy information. BLUE LINK BELOW

2. Bruce C Truesdale

Pro

Answered . While I believe that it is always wise to seek the counsel of an experienced bankruptcy attorney to obtain help in preparing a bankruptcy petition, the NOLO books are excellent in explaining what needs to be done. You can also find and fill out all the forms you need to prepare on line at the New Jersey Bankruptcy Court's website www.njb.uscourts.gov. Remember, a Chapter 7 case is a lot like a snow ball, once you start it down the hill, it picks up momentum and is hard to stop. A Chapter 7 case cannot usually be dismissed once it is filed, so you must be absolutely sure that what you have prepared and filed is right, because in a Chapter 7 case you are essentially asking the Trustee to take you property, personal and real property, sell it and use the proceeds to pay your creditors.

Bruce C. Truesdale
    Middlesex, NJ

3. Michael L Detzky

Pro

Answered . It's NEVER a good idea to attempt to complete something as complicated as a Bankruptcy case on your own. Remenber the old adage about someone representing himself in court having a fool for a client... but if you insist, here's a good place to start http://www.uscourts.gov/FederalCourts/Bankruptc...

4. Robert John Murillo

1

Answered . If you have contacted all legal aid services and you don't qualify and you really cannot afford an attorney, you will have to file this yourself. This has some general information for NJ http://www.njb.uscourts.gov/content/electronic-.... A good resource for DIY Chapter 7 is this book http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-file-for-ch....

You really should do whatever you can to get an attorney. If that is truly not at all possible, use the resources and plan to spend dozens of hours learning the process and following it to the letter. Good luck.