Must an attorney who drafted a trust retain a copy after the execution of the trust?

Asked over 1 year ago - Horicon, WI

Misplaced my copy of trust. Contacted attorney who drafted trust. Was told he did not have a copy because it's his office policy not to keep a copy of executed trust. Is this normal?

1. James P. Frederick

8

Answered . It happens. I have heard of policies like this. I believe it to be a bad business practice and a poor example of client service. I cannot tell you how many times I get calls from clients indicating that they have misplaced their documents. I always keep an extra signed set of copies for this reason. Some attorneys prefer to keep only digital files. Some do not keep copies of documents, at all.

James Frederick

2. Brian Mitchell Mekdsy

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Frederick that whether or not this is normal, it is not good customer service. As a matter of prudence and good record-keeping, the attorney who drafted the trust should have at the very least kept copies of the documents, even if not signed. You never know when a situation like this is going to come up.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . I agree that it is not normal.