Municipal court notice for Leaving the scene of minor accident, no injuries. What worse can be in store?

1st traffic offense, am a new driver & left because the vehicle was an emergency vehicle with flashing light didn't wanted to block it, i didn't had any malicious intentions

Jersey City, NJ -

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

The driver of any vehicle knowingly involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle, including his own vehicle, or other property which is attended by any person shall immediately stop his vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible, but shall then forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of such accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of subsection (c) of this section. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary. Any person who shall violate this subsection shall be fined not less than $200 nor more than $400, or be imprisoned for a period of not more than 30 days, or both, for the first offense, and for a subsequent offense, shall be fined not less than $400 nor more than $600, or be imprisoned for a period of not less than 30 days nor more than 90 days or both.

Bottom line is retain a local criminal lawyer to fight.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
Michael A Ferrara Jr

Michael A Ferrara Jr

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Cherry Hill, NJ

Hire a Jersey City lawyer. Call Craig Hoogstra

James Alexander Abate

James Alexander Abate

DUI / DWI Attorney - Westfield, NJ

My office handles motor vehicle offenses and frequently appear in the municipal court of Jersey City. This is a common violation that we see (leaving the scene) and the penalties are severe. A first offense carries a longer suspension than a DWI 6 months) and up to 8 points. The more common variety is a bumper tap in a parking lot and a party leaves. This is the less common variety, a active hit and run. From your statement it sounds like you hit an emergency vehicle and left the scene. That is something that the prosecutor could take quite seriously. Jersey city tends to be a reasonable court to deal with, but they may give a case like this extra scrutiny. I highly recommend you retain a lawyer. Call my office if you would like a free consultation.

Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
Dean P Murray

Dean P Murray

Immigration Attorney - Hoboken, NJ

Call me for a free consultation. I practice regularly in Hudson County. There is too much at stake for you to risk not hiring an attorney. I can be reached at (201)875-2600, (alternatively, my email is dmurray@deanmurraylaw.com).

John George Ducey

John George Ducey

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Brick, NJ

Possible but unlikely jail. License suspension, points and fine definite. An attorney can work with you and the facts and get the beast deal possible for you.

John Ducey
732-458-5600

Herbert Ira Ellis

Herbert Ira Ellis

Personal Injury Lawyer - Freehold, NJ

You may be held responsible for property damage and fined, if this is your first offense.
Any subsequent offenses may result in harsher penalties .
I highly recommend that you consult with an experienced attorney !
Good luck to you !

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You do need an attorney before court. It is not a good idea to represent yourself on criminal charges.
Good Luck
Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference