Skip to main content

Multiple felony charges dismissed in 2005. But my record shows more charges than I was charged with.

Durham, NC |

I was arrested and charged with 4 counts of drug related offenses which I did not do. sell, attempt to sell, dwelling, and paraphernalia . I was told that each of these charges carried 3 additional charges. I got a private attorney and 2 years later the DA agreed to dismiss all charges IF I would say I was guilty and go to drug court.. I wanted to fight this because I was innocent but my attorney said it would be in my best interest to take what the DA offered. When I checked my criminal report it listed over 50 charges, all dismissed. How can that be ? and if I were to check into having them expunged ,would it be considered 1 or multiple charges expunged ? and is there something that says after 7 years it remains on your record but is hidden?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I agree with the attorney's answer above. If you had never been in trouble before and were charged with a slew of offenses, it would come as no surprise some parts of what was happening may have not been fully absorbed by you. It's a common occurrence for people dealing with the court system for the first time. It may also be the computer is showing (for example) your 25 charges as CRs in district court and then those same charges post indictment listed as CRS numbers in superior court. The State generally brings the original charges in district court via a magistrate's finding of probable cause. These are listed as CRs, or criminal record numbers (ex. 12CR1234). Then, once they go to the grand jury and are indicted, they are relisted on the computer as CRSs (Criminal Records Superior 12CRS1234). This is not twice the number of charges, just a reflection of the criminal process of a case on the computer advancing through the system. Go talk with your lawyer and confirm your situation. It's does sound like you'd be a candidate for expungement, but it's a one time thing generally. Hire a good lawyer to get it done right for you. Good luck.

    Nothing in David Courie's answer or remarks should be relied upon as legal advice, tax advice or believed to establish an attorney client relationship. Nothing can replace the value of a face to face meeting with ones own attorney who practices in the relevant geographic region and area if law.

  2. Sounds like you had a really good Attorney who did an excellent job for you, you should go back to him/her and ask him these questions.

    Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

  3. I think Mr. Courie's got the right idea. If these charges were all handled together, and if they otherwise qualify for expungement, then you can get then all expunged. But the second part of that -- making sure they all qualify for expungement - is where things get complicated. You're going to have to talk to an attorney about this. If you don't want to go back to your original attorney, that's OK, another attorney could help you with the expungements.

    There is nothing that says after 7 years the charges remain on your record but are hidden - it would be nice, but as far as I know, that's not the case.

    This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics