MSA lists my bonus as personal property to be split equally each year. What happens after divorce?

We separated 2 years ago with a marital settlement agreement. The agreement says that I am to pay half of bonus each year. This is listed within the personal property section. It says nothing about what happens after we are divorced. Can I/how do I obtain clarification that this payment ends once we are divorced? He has a lawyer, I do not. He is not willing to clarify in an amendment, believes I simply pay forever.

Charlottesville, VA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Arash Zarei

Arash Zarei

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Vienna, VA

Your should retain an attorney to deal with this matter. Although uncontested divorces are cost efficient, one should at least hire an attorney to review the MSA. Regardless, hindsight is 20/20. You should hire an attorney assist you. Good luck!

This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any... more
Rebecca Lynne Melone

Rebecca Lynne Melone

Family Law Attorney - Reston, VA

You should consult with an attorney in your area. Good luck.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Featured Legal Guides

Dividing Separate Property in Divorce

Separate property generally refers to property that is acquired before marriage. However, gifts and inheritances are also separate property.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.