MSA lists my bonus as personal property to be split equally each year. What happens after divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Charlottesville, VA

We separated 2 years ago with a marital settlement agreement. The agreement says that I am to pay half of bonus each year. This is listed within the personal property section. It says nothing about what happens after we are divorced. Can I/how do I obtain clarification that this payment ends once we are divorced? He has a lawyer, I do not. He is not willing to clarify in an amendment, believes I simply pay forever.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Arash Zarei


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your should retain an attorney to deal with this matter. Although uncontested divorces are cost efficient, one should at least hire an attorney to review the MSA. Regardless, hindsight is 20/20. You should hire an attorney assist you. Good luck!

    This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any... more
  2. Rebecca Lynne Melone

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should consult with an attorney in your area. Good luck.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Dividing Separate Property in Divorce

Separate property generally refers to property that is acquired before marriage. However, gifts and inheritances are also separate property.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now